About the Extension
Noteit posts can easily be created, edited, resized and recoloured.
Noteit Posts is an extension for the Opera web browser, that allows for the addition of persistent notes to any webpage. A simple interface allows for notes to be edited freely, recoloured, and moved about and resized through a simple drag and drop interface. Notes can be tied to a single page, or and entire domain, and can easily be managed, edited and deleted from a centralised interface.
The configuration screens provide a quick and easy overview of all your notes, as well as means for altering the default note appearence.
- Easily create notes from the extension’s button.
- Notes are persistent and will remain on the page on future visits.
- Notes are stored in the extensions webSQL database, so will not be lost if you clear your cookies.
- Notes can easily be moved, resized and recoloured using the simple interface.
- Attach a note to a page or a domain as you decide!
- A central configuration page allows complete control over all your created notes.
- Easily choose default note appearance.
- Create notes via a customizable keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+# by default)
- Import and export notes via XML
Got other ideas? Use the suggestions tab on the left hand side of this page to make or vote on suggestions. Alternatively visit the suggestions page directly.
This extension requires that you be using the Opera browser, at version 11.0 or above. It was developed and tested with Opera 11.0.1 under windows, but should work in the Mac and Linux versions. This extension will not work with Opera mini, Opera mobile, or other embedded versions, such as the Wii browser.
Download the extension using the link further down this page. Extensions can be installed by opening them, or by dragging and dropping them onto Opera. When prompted, confirm that you wish to install the extension. I eventually hope to get the extension listed on the extension’s catalogue.
To create a new note, simply click the orange pencil symbol in the opera extensions tool-bar. This will usually be located to the right of the address bar. This will create a note on the webpage you are currently viewing. If the icon is greyed out, ensure you have an active tab selected, and that the page has finished loading. It is not possible to add notes to the Opera speed dial page, or other elements of the Opera interface.
The newly created note should look like this:
An Example Note
To add content to the note, click within the dotted box and begin typing. Once done, just click elsewhere on the page, and the note will save. To move the note, click on the dark bar at the top, while holding down your mouse button, drag the note around, just as you would move a window using its title bar. To resize a note, place your pointer over the dark triangle in the bottom right hand corner, the pointer should turn into diagonal arrows. Simply click and drag to resize the note, just as you would a window.
Notes can be closed by clicking the X symbol in the top right hand corner. Be aware, this will also delete the note from your database. Once closed, a notes contents is lost and can’t be recovered. Adjacent to the close button is the minimize button , this will shrink the note down to the size of the dark bar, and is useful if you wish to temporarily see the underlying website. Minimized notes can be restored by clicking the restore button , that will replace the minimize icon.
The configuration panel can be accessed via the configure icon in the top left hand corner. The configuration panel allows you to set the colour of a note, or alter whether it is attached to the page, or the domain. For example, if you created a note while viewing this post, ‘page’ would ensure that it only appeared when you were reading this post. However, if you choose ‘domain’ then the note will appear on any page at blog.jaspsplace.co.uk.
The Preferences Page
If you right click on the noteit orange pencil and select preferences, you will enter the Noteit posts preferences page. Here you can tweak the default settings, and manage your notes database.
The about section contains information about the extension, including the version you have installed.
The options section allows you to change the default settings for newly created notes. Width and height control the size of the note in pixels. Left and top control where the note will appear on the page, a value of 0 for both for instance will have the note appearing in the top left hand corner. Colour can be used to set the default note colour, whereas ‘page or domain’ determines if a note is associated with the page or the domain by default.
The stored notes section provides a table showing all notes you have created. ‘Refresh table’ will reload the table, displaying any changes that may have been made since the preferences page was opened. This is especially useful if you have had the page open in the background, and have modified notes in other tabs. ‘Delete Selected’ will remove any selected notes from your database, preventing them from displaying in future. Notes can be selected by ensuring that there is a check mark in the box in their row of the table. Finally, ‘Reset Database’ will clear all notes, and rebuild the table. This action will cause you to lose all notes and is not recommended.
By clicking the ‘configure’ button next to each note, it is possible to manually tweak a notes size, position, colour, content, and even associated page. This feature allows you to modify notes, without requiring that you visit their containing page. It is also the only way to move a note from one domain to another.
v0.0.1 – Limited First release (Released as 1.0)
v0.0.2 – Change UID to blog post
– Converted urls to lowercase before comparison as well as storage
v0.0.3 – Switched the default setting to page specific, rather than domain
– Switching the note from domain mode to page mode now ties it to the current page
– Increased security to validate field names
– Ensure that pages making changes to, or deleting notes are those which own the note.
v0.0.4 – Fixed a but introduced just prior to release that prevented minimization.
v0.0.5 – Removed implication that the stored notes feature is incomplete.
v1.0.0 – Added link to website
– Added timed onInput event to save notes in case focus is not lost before the page is left.
– Added ability to position notes relative to viewport
v1.0.1 – Corrected bug, opera doesn’t recognise ‘input’ for content editable divs
– Corrected code that had previously not been running as a result
V1.1.0 – Minimization state of notes is now saved as intended
– Minimizing and restoring notes no longer results in errors
v1.1.1 – Changes to default note height now saved correctly.
v1.1.3 – Unofficial release: Carriage returns correctly saved. (Should also solve some issues with other ‘special’ characters.)
v1.2.0 – Added the ability to customize note fonts.
– Added link to suggestions page.
– Menubar now displays a preview of each note to allow easy identification when minimized.
– More tightly defined the style of notes to increase consistency across pages.
v1.3.0 – Added lang.js file to allow for easy localisation
– Reorganization and optimisation of code to allow for easier maintenance
– New lines in note body no longer cause HTML to appear in note title on refresh
– Dragging/resizing notes no longer selects underlying text
– The note edit area will have a scrollbar if the contents become too long, the edit area will still adjust as the note resizes
– Font inheritance now occurs as expected: Font no longer lost if press return.
– New paragraphs in notes no longer result in a large top-margin
– Minor spelling and grammatical errors corrected.
– Added ability to create notes via keyboard short-cut (Ctrl-# by default, user customizable).
– Extension bar icon now optional.
– Further improvement of stylesheets to maintain note appearance.
– Added ability to export and import notes to allow for backing up
Noteit Posts is now available from the Opera extensions catalogue, it is recommended that you install the extension from there as this will allow for easy auto-updating. It is strongly recommended that users of the version hosted on this website export all their notes and import them into the version hosted on the extensions catalogue.
Visit the extension page (Recommended)
Download Version v1.3.0 (58.7 KB) (Extension Catalogue Version Recommended)
Bugs, suggestions? Use the suggestions tab on the left hand side of this page to make or vote on suggestions. Alternatively visit the suggestions page directly.
Noteit posts is a free extension, however, if you would like to show your thanks: